Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Cookbook Wednesdays and Friday Friend Recipe #47: Doug's Margarita



hosted by Louise
at 
I love having  someone to keep me on track-- using every cookbook I own.
I love this blog!  Louise has such interesting posts.
Today she is featuring bananas.  She actually has banana cookbooks!  I am envious.

Today (since, I am ashamed to say,  I didn't make anything from a cookbook of mine), I'm just going to talk my 'homemade' cookbook:
 the Friday Friends Cookbook!


I know that I talk a lot about my Friday Friends and the Friday Friends Cookbook.  In fact, nowadays I  only post things from...
... as far as food posts go anyway.
I figure it's not so much about the food anymore, but about the friends!

I'm going to explain more about my Friday Friends and the Cookbook in a minute,

 but first, let me give you recipe #47 from it....



(I always put this at the beginning of a FF Cookbook post.  I figure it explains a little bit. AND/BUT if you've been following along--all 3 of you---you know this info already)

Friday Friend Recipe #47:  Doug's Margarita

Making my way thru my Friday Friend Cookbook, one recipe at a time.

What is the Friday Friend cookbook:   I have about 50 of my closest friends and family on an e-mail forum which I called the Friday Friends (from all over the county).  At first, most of them didn't know each other, (they knew me) but over the past 15 years, we've answered and shared silly--and serious---questions,  exchanged Secret Santa Christmas gifts,  had a dieting contest in which we paid a $1 a week and that money went to a scholarship fund for a Friday Friends son's memorial scholarship, and we went on a great vacation for my 52 birthday.


AND,  we contributed recipes for a cookbook.
Which brings me to this... recipe #47

Barb's
Doug's Margarita





This was actually the best margarita I've had in,  years!  Maybe ever.  It was really good.
I remember having it once at Barb and Doug's house and I thought it was good, but didn't think too much about it.  I thought it was a fad or something trendy to do.
When the Handyman remade these for me a couple of weeks ago for the blog post, I thought WOW!  This is great!  And I wanted to drink them all up!
Who knew that 4 simple ingredients could make this so good!
And-- there is no lime to be seen!  Except of course for the one I put on the edge of the glass.




Doug's Margarita
Barbara Brown
Buckeye, AZ

1 small can frozen lemonade
1 small can tequila (use lemonade can)
1/3 small can triple sec
1 can beer
ice
blend and drink


This is where I'm supposed to have a picture of Barb and tell a story about her, but you already know her!  She's the editor of the FF Cookbook.  See all her recipes here.
(I begged for recipes from the Friday Friends, sent them to her and she typed them all up and published the first ones!)

I wrote this in a blog post in August of 2008:
Barb is a great cook, so I've got quite a few of her recipes. In fact, Barb was the editor of the Friday Friend cookbook-- Don't get your hopes up, there are only two copies in the whole world....in Barb's kitchen and mine. I asked for recipes from these Friday Friends far and wide, they sent, I forwarded, Barb copied and pasted and printed, a cook book.

When I first started the Friday Friend forum, I used to ask all kinds of questions from all my friends far and near, compile, cut, paste, resend.
It became so much fun!!
We talked about many things from kids to bras to parades to world events, but we always, ALWAYS talked about food from the very beginning...
... and-- little did they know,  that I kept copies of all our answers and discussion and have them in notebooks. 
Over 15 years of FF ramblings!
(I thought it might have some social anthropological importance someday! )
 ~insert insane laughter~

I pulled out this note-book from the fall of  2004,  apparently I was requesting recipes at that time for the FF Cookbook.
In the 5th sentence you can see that "Barbara" Brown is halfway done with the cookbook:


Then just for fun,  other random food things we were discussing during that time:


And you KNOW these people!!!  I have posted recipes from them!
you can click on their names to see their recipes.



And there is Shelly!
And April will make her Cookbook debut soon, as will  Adria!
And Mitzi is mentioned!
I just love my friends!!

A note from my son Mark found it's way into the Friday Friend Forum during that time too!



and because it was a forum, and I compiled and posted and pasted and answered, here is what a few FF's said:
(it's just a teaser---because you can't see the complete answers)






And here is the true answer:

I know that my blog has an interesting name.  A name/title that no one gets, because there are no 'friends' writing posts every week. There is only me. 

Long before I knew what a blog was, I had a group e-mail forum that included my friends from near and far...and originally I would ask them a question on Fridays, cut and paste their answers and  share with all.

So there is the history of my name.  Well, not MY name, (that would be 1950's Debbie Reynolds popularity) but rather my blog's name.  It started as a joke, when I thought that only they would be reading this blog.  Now, over 800 posts later, a few other people do read my blog.
It's nice to have made other friends thru this.  But too late to change my name (my blog's name ) to something catchy like " Debbie's Dishes"  or  "Dining with Debbie" or even "Debbie is a hot dish".   Okay, we can leave the last one out, but you know what I mean....you are stuck with the Friday Friends.

I have about 50 of my closest friends on the e-mail forum.  At first, most of them didn't know each other, (they knew me) but over the past 15 years, we've answered and shared silly--and serious---questions,  exchanged Secret Santa Christmas gifts,  had a dieting contest in which we paid a $1 a week and that money went to a scholarship fund for a Friday Friends son's memorial scholarship, and we went on a great vacation for my 52 birthday.
AND,  we contributed recipes for a cookbook.

I was looking at the cookbook the other night and I said, "I should make every recipe in here for my blog."
The Handyman--who knows me better than I know myself (this happened to be a question on the Friday Friend forum once---does your spouse/partner know you better than you know yourself?)--said,  "you'll never, EVER do that."

I'm out to prove him wrong!


****************
So....  my Cookbook Wednesday post is this!
A rambling about how the Friday Friends Cookbook got it's start!?

And since I used Barb's recipe this time around...
here is a photo of Barbara Brown!
Publisher of the Friday Friend Cookbook!

Don't laugh --  I took pictures of pictures (on my cell phone) because my scanner is broken.
so, picture quality is not so good.
I think it makes the photos look 'vintage'.

These are from a family wedding.
When my sister and brother in law got married.
It was a backyard, tropical theme.
I'll write about it sometime, but for now, here is Barb in her tropical shirt.

Facts about Barbara  Brown:
She is a helper kinda gal.
Here she is helping with dishes  (I don't know the other people who are helping, they are helper kinda people too) in the middle. 



Barb is an old JCPenney manager.
As is the Handyman (on the left)
and Tom.


Barb is a Friday Friend!
As is my niece Melissa
me
and Leah
Not sure why Barb is showing off her muscle????




And the Friday Friend Cookbook!
She/We need a better cover page.
(Yes, that is a Taste of Home recipe sticking out--- I stuck it in there to try)



I told you---Barb put in LOTS of recipes!
(she did the typing for heaven's sake!)





If you are interested in all of the Friday Friend Cookbook recipes
CLICK HERE!
and
Have a good day!

No comments:

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...