Monday, January 1, 2018

Friday Friend Recipe #172 - Pecan Pie Surprise Bars




Come with me as I continue to countdown my Friday Friend Cookbook!

What is it, you may ask?

In a nutshell...
About 19 years ago, 50 of my closest friends and family, who had been on an e-mail forum with me, sent in recipes in different categories and we compiled a cookbook.
I decided to count those down!
Why?

Because  one night I was looking thru the cookbook and I said, "I should make every recipe in here for my blog"
The Handyman--who thinks he knows me better than I know myself, said,  "you'll never EVER do that."
Well,  maybe I will!  Maybe I'll show him!

Which brings me to recipes #172
 My Mom's Pecan Surprise Bars



I have been gone for a while you know... I don't know why, but I do it every year or so--take a few month break from blogging, and I do it so sudden, I don't have time to write a "taking a blogging break" post...before you know it, I'm into the break a few weeks and it seems silly to write a post at that time to say I'm on a break.  I figure you are all smart people, you can kind of figure that out for yourselves.
Am I right?
Well, anyway, here I am back on January 1st, with not one but TWO posts.  My first book of the year, and this one.  Time to get back into the cookbook countdown.
So here we go with my mom's Pecan bars.  I don't know what the surprise is, but when she turned in the recipe for the cookbook, that is the name she gave these.
It's no surprise that they are good!  Unless you don't like pecan pie type of desserts and then... well, then, you are just weird.












Somewhere along the way, I lost track of how many FF recipes each of my FF's has in the cookbook countdown, but if you want to see all of my mom's...just click here and it will take you right to her's.

Then I have a funny little tag 'mom and me' and I really have no idea what I've put on there, but you can be like me and click here to find out.  We'll do it together!

My parents  both passed away in 2014, but this was written in 2004 on my Friday Friend Forum, so my mom got the chance to read it and I know it made her very happy. 
I forgot what the question on the forum was exactly but  this note came from my friend Theda --you can see all her recipes here-just click
My mother wouldn't want me to brag about her you know....😍 but...

from Theda (she was writing to me) : I also have to say that I admired you and your mom.  You knew my mom so enough said.
But you...you got to go on sleep overs and you would talk with your mom (and your dad). They both always made me feel so welcomed.  I always thought you were so lucky.  Of the four of us girls ( 4 of us ran around together--inseparable for a while), you had the best.  I hope that in our lives we all take a little of the good that we saw in other families and use that to help make life with our families just a little better than we had.

They loved her too! Probably out of all 4 girls, they loved her the best. 
Well, except perhaps for me.

They also loved to travel a bit...

New York City!



The Grand Canyon!



New Zealand!


I had the best parents!  Theda said.
That's my story.


This is recipe number 172, my friends, only 122 left to go!


1 comment:

bermudaonion said...

Do you say Pee-Can or Puh-Kan? Carl would probably love these.

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...