Sunday, April 19, 2015

Blockade Billy


From Goodreads:
 Even the most die-hard baseball fans don't know the true story of William “Blockade Billy” Blakely. He may have been the greatest player the game has ever seen, but today no one remembers his name. He was the first--and only--player to have his existence completely removed from the record books. Even his team is long forgotten, barely a footnote in the game's history.

Every effort was made to erase any evidence that William Blakely played professional baseball, and with good reason. Blockade Billy had a secret darker than any pill or injection that might cause a scandal in sports today. His secret was much, much worse... and only Stephen King, the most gifted storyteller of our age, can reveal the truth to the world, once and for all.

From me:
3 stars from me.
I liked it.
Baseball* and Stephen King.
What's not to like? 
I had to research a bit to see if Billy Blakely was real,  (he wasn't), but King sure made it seem as if he was.
I just love King's style of writing.
This was a short novella, which I read in one sitting --- just during coffee yesterday morning.

Stephen King said:
 I love old-school baseball, and I also love the way people who've spent a lifetime in the game talk about the game. I tried to combine those things in a story of suspense. People have asked me for years when I was going to write a baseball story. Ask no more; this is it

and I, love to read about old-school baseball*.

Truth be told, it wasn't  'all that' suspenseful for me, but it was a fun, quick, SK read.

*I love to read about baseball more than I like to watch it.
*I love the history of baseball and baseball movies more than I like to watch it in real life.
*I love the 'idea' of baseball.
*I love the smell of leather baseball mitts and the sight of little kids in their uniforms (not to mention adult men in their's)
*I love the sound of the ball park.
*I love the sound of a baseball game as it floats in the air up to my house, from the park down the street.
*I love hot dogs. (and peanuts and popcorn)
*I love to sing "Take me out to the Ballgame"

But.... sitting thru a whole game in real life?
I refuse to answer on the grounds that it might incriminate me.

1 comment:

bermudaonion said...

Oh yes, King is a great storyteller!

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...