Friday, April 3, 2015

Book Blogger Hop

Book Blogger Hop is hosted by 
Every Friday, she'll pose a question, submitted by a fellow book blogger.
(stop by her Blog to find out all the details)
This week's question is:
 
 Is there one book you will NEVER forget?
 
Aw man!  I have to narrow it down to one?
How about 2.  
Two books that I have read at an inappropriate time in my life, BUT they made a lasting impression and I will never forget them.
 
1.  The Godfather by Mario Puzo
 

 With its themes of the seduction of power, the pitfalls of greed, and family allegiance, it resonated with millions of readers across the world—and became the definitive novel of the virile, violent subculture that remains steeped in intrigue, in controversy, and in our collective consciousness
 
2. Valley of the Dolls by Jaquelin Suzanne  
 
 
 
 Sex and drugs and shlock and more -- Jacqueline Susann's addictively entertaining trash classic about three showbiz girls clawing their way to the top and hitting bottom in New York City has it all.
 
 
Why inappropriate?
Because I was 12.
In the 7th grade. 
 
I LOVE these books.
I snuck read them.
My parents didn't know. At the time, they wouldn't have approved.  It was the classic "flashlite under the covers" scenario. 
 
I sometimes will proudly say "I snuck read them" --- whenever someone asks me about banning books.  (I'm sure these are on a list somewhere)
One day my son raised his arms and shook and said,  "oooohhhh mom,  you SNUCK READ!  You are one badass!!"
 
I thought so. 
When I was 12. 
 
The 12 year old rebel in me also read:
Coffee, Tea or Me
&  The Exorcist. 
 
I am sure other book bloggers have a more serious book or few to share, something meaningful-- I have these!!
I love them to this day!!! 

4 comments:

Alysia said...

Holly! Cow! 12 years old! Man. You were a brave child. I think I was 13 when I read Misery and it was the book I picked for the meme. It was so scary!

bermudaonion said...

I read Valley of the Dolls as an adult and couldn't figure out what all the fuss was about.

Tina said...

Those two novels are a blast from the past!

Elizabeth said...

I LOVED The Godfather too....it made a great movie as well.

I read Valley of The Dolls too. :)

It was difficult to choose only ONE. I chose too also. My answer is at the link below.

Thanks for sharing, and I hope you are having a good weekend.

Also...a review and giveaway of DON'T TRY TO FIND ME at this link.

http://silversolara.blogspot.com/2015/04/review-and-giveaway-of-dont-try-to-find.html

Elizabeth
Silver's Reviews
My Blog Hop Answer

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...