Friday, February 5, 2016

Friday Friend Recipe #93-- Zucchini Patties

 
 
Friday Friend Recipe #93 -- Zucchini Patties
Making my way thru my Friday Friend Cookbook, one recipe at a time.
What is the Friday Friend cookbook: I have about 50 of my closest friends and family on an e-mail forum which I called the Friday Friends (from all over the county). At first, most of them didn't know each other, (they knew me) but over the past 15 years, we've answered and shared silly--and serious---questions, exchanged Secret Santa Christmas gifts, had a dieting contest in which we paid a $1 a week and that money went to a scholarship fund for a Friday Friends son's memorial scholarship, and we went on a great vacation for my 52 birthday.

AND, we contributed recipes for a cookbook.
I was looking at the cookbook the other night and I said, "I should make every recipe in here for my blog."
The Handyman--who knows me better than I know myself (this happened to be a question on the Friday Friend forum once---does your spouse/partner know you better than you know yourself?)--said,  "you'll never, EVER do that."

WELL---maybe I'll show him!  Maybe I will.
Which brings me to this... recipe #93
Barb's
Zucchini  Patties
 
 
***************
I must admit---sometimes I'm at a point where I don't care about what the photographs look like, because these looked and tasted a lot better than they photographed.
 
It was evening in the winter, dark outside and artificial light inside.
Do I say more?
You get the picture
(and I am amazingly funny with that pun!)
 
The patties were good.  IF you like zucchini that is.  I did put some olive oil and not Pam in the baking sheet and then... well, I might have left them a bit long and they got crispy on the bottom, BUT, they were really great that way.
I added the cheese, because they were just a bit too healthy for us.  And cheese (as well as bacon and cinnamon) makes everything better! Right?
 

 
Zucchini Patties
FF Barbara Brown
Buckeye, AZ
 
3 1/2 cups grated zucchini
2 T grated onion
2 T chopped parsley
1/3 cup parmesan
1 cup soft bread crumbs
3/4 t salt
1/4 t pepper
1/2 cup egg substitute
fine dry bread crumbs 
 
Heat oven to 350F.  Spray cookie sheet with Pam. 
Squeeze as much liquid as possible from grated zucchini.  Combine it with all but the dry bread crumbs.
Shape into patties and coat with dry bread crumbs.  Place on cookie sheet, spray lightly with Pam and bake for 30-40 minutes, until golden brown.
 
*I topped with cheese
*and I coated the cookie sheet with some olive oil.  I didn't feel like being as 'good' as Barb in this recipe.

 
And now, once again Barbara Brown, the editor of the original Friday Friend Cookbook  (yes, she typed up all 400+ recipes in the first place for me)
Barb has 24 recipes so far--- out of 93.  That's a high percentage.  Don't ask me how high, because that would include me doing math, and... I don't really.
Is you want to check out all of Barb's recipes, just click on the link.
 
Interesting thing about Barb is that she collects frogs.  Figurines and things.
One time she lived in Monterey, CA--when I first met her. 
We were invited to their home to stay for the weekend, to bring in the New Year.  She and the Handyman were colleagues, managing JCPenney stores in the same district and they liked each other.
I was very nervous.  She had one nice little girl at home, I had three rambunctious boys.
 
**animal lovers, read no further**
 
We had a great weekend---it bonded us FOREVER.  We played games and ate good food and brought in the new year.
The kids got along very well --it was just good.
Until one afternoon, Barb's daughter, Kim, came inside and whispered something in her mom's ear.  Barb got up and went outside---of course my intuition knew I had better follow.  It seems that in Barb's backyard, there were 100's of tiny frogs.  Live ones.  They lived right upon a pond or watery path (creek?) that led to the bay, if I remember correctly. Anyway, close enough to water to have frogs.
My boys were.... were..... using the frogs for batting practice.
The. Live. Frogs.
 
 
 
(sigh) I hate to admit that.
 
Hello, Meet the Stone boys!  Boys will be boys? 
I don't really know what to say, except, how can these sweet little faces (because this is them right around that time)  be frog murderers?
Rest assured, their frog killing time went no further. 
They have went on to have jobs, graduate from college, nice families, hold jobs, make good friends,  and even....EVEN
Have pets of their own!!


 
 
 
This is a photo of Barb and Doug and Kim as we were leaving their home that weekend.  They were probably thinking get the heck out of here!!?
BUT... they did invite us back, so?
 
 
 
 
It's a good thing  after 25 years she still likes my boys!!
 
 
A picture of Barb and her husband Doug....
 
 
then: 
(at their wedding) 
 
 
 
 
and now:
(they're still happy, even if they're not smiling!)
 

 And that's my story!!

1 comment:

bermudaonion said...

We do like zucchini so that recipe sounds good to me.

I'm glad Kim told on the boys!!

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...