Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Into the Darkest Corner


From Goodreads:
When young, pretty Catherine Bailey meets Lee Brightman, she can't believe her luck. Gorgeous, charismatic, and a bit mysterious, Lee seems almost too perfect to be true.

But what begins as flattering attention and spontaneous, passionate sex transforms into raging jealousy, and Catherine soon discovers that Lee's dazzling blue eyes and blond good looks hide a dark, violent nature. Disturbed by his increasingly erratic, controlling behavior, she tries to break it off; turning to her friends for support, she's stunned to find they don't believe her. Increasingly isolated and driven into the darkest corner of her world, a desperate Catherine plans a meticulous escape.

Four years later, Lee is behind bars and Catherine—now Cathy—is trying to build a new life in a new city. Though her body has healed, the trauma of the past still haunts her. Then Stuart Richardson, her attractive new neighbor, moves in. Encouraging her to confront her fears, he sparks unexpected hope and the possibility of love and a normal life.

Until the day the phone rings . . .
 

From Me:
It was pretty creepy and a page turner.  
Even tho it had an extremely violent theme, I couldn't stop.  I had to keep reading to find out what happened.
Although I do kind of want to check my doors now.
If you like suspense--this is a great read.
If you can't get beyond brutal domestic violence, this is probably not for you.

In one of my book clubs, we have a lady who only likes happy books. 
She is never 'happy' with us when we pick anything other than a cozy mystery.

I discovered this book last week during BBAW--from --- AH MAN!  I can't remember. 
Of course it was on the day we were answering the question:
What have you read and loved because of a fellow blogger?

Well, this will be one of them.  I just can't remember who it is.
3.8 stars.

4 comments:

Literary Feline said...

I am glad you liked this one, Debbie. I was hoping you would. I know it's dark and violent, but I just love it. It was my first book by Elizabeth Haynes. I've since read some of her other books and enjoyed each of them. She writes a mystery series too which is a bit different--more of a police procedural.

Katherine P said...

There are so many books on my TBR that are because of other bloggers! I need to be better about tracking them because I frequently have no memory of where the recommendation came from! This does sound good though I'm a little worried about the brutalness. I probably lean more towards the book club member who only likes happy books!

bermudaonion said...

I love creepy page turners!

Kay said...

This one is definitely a page turner. What got to me most, honoestly, was the OCD that the main character dealt with after her attack. So, so sad and Haynes wrote that disorder in a breathless sort of way - for me anyway. My book group is discussing this book Wednesday evening. We'll see how it goes. As I was listening to it (which does make some things more vivid and noticeable), I wondered how several of them will fare or if they would even finish it. LOL

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...