Tuesday, June 7, 2011

It's a Small World

It's Audiobook Week 2011!!

Jen from Devourer of Books is our host this week, so be sure to go over to say hello, check out the links and the discussions!




For AudiobookWeek  Day #2, our topic is:
Sound Effects in Audiobooks

Love them? Hate them? Take them or leave them? How do you feel about sound effects in audiobooks?
Alternate suggestions: Single narrator vs. multiple narrators vs. full cast, audio dramatizations, etc.


My simple answer is this:  I don't know, because I am too new to Audiobooks.  I've only listened to 4 of them  (but tonight am downloading a new one for my walk to work tomorrow).
Out of those four I've never come across one with multiple narrators or sound effects.    I can't wait to see what the future brings for me in audiobooks!

***************************************************************************

It's a small world!

My mother used to say that to me all the time..."it's a small world" and then she would shake her head and tsk tsk tsk.

I was never really sure what that meant until I grew up. Until I was standing atop  the Empire State Building at 11:30pm on November 2nd, 2002 and ran into a girl who was on my son's swim team.  (Back in California)


Or when I moved to Winnemucca and met my friend Shelly and found out we went to the same elementary school in 1966 and had the same 1st grade teacher.
Coincidence's are what makes it a small world, I guess.


So, you can imagine what a surprise it was when I walked into my friend Theresa's house last Friday night for supper and began to talk about BEA and how we should go next year, (I was talking to her 16 year old daughter who is a huge book nerd like me), when Theresa turns to me and say, "Guess what? My friend Alison got to have lunch with Adriana Trigiani!"


I gave her a shove and said, "GET OUTTA TOWN" "SAY IT AIN'T SO!" "YOU'RE PULLIN' MY LEG!"


Okay, I didn't really say those things, because I don't say stuff like that usually, but I did say, "OH MY GOSH! Seriously? My friends were there too!!"


Now, these are friends I've never really actually met in person, but....I read their blogs regularly and once in a while we have an e-mail 'talk' (short but sweet). I feel a bond, as I read about their lives every day. AND, I take their book advice, more than they know.


So, yeah, my FRIENDS (at BookJourney, BermudiaOnion and BethFishReads) were there having lunch with Adriana Trigiani and so was Theresa's FRIEND, Alison (Alison's Book Marks)
It's a small world....


....because we live in Winnemucca, Nevada.   A small, small town in northern rural Nevada! Who would have ever thought we'd know someone who was with someone, who was sitting by someone who was having lunch with Adriana Trigiani in New York City, during BEA (which I didn't think my friend Theresa even knew about.)
It's a small world!
WHEW....that was a complicated thing to say.   It was just so funny  (to us anyway)

Night!

2 comments:

bermudaonion said...

How fun to see that your friend knows Alison! Alison sat right across from me at that lunch and she's a real sweetheart.

I don't care for sound effects in my audio books, especially when I'm listening to them in my car. There's nothing like hearing a siren or a gunshot while you're barreling down the interstate.

Jen - devourer of books said...

I've been to Winnemucca! I actually spent a summer up in McDermott, on the Oregon border, so Winnemucca was the 'big city' we came down to for supplies, etc.

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...