Saturday, June 11, 2011

Kid Konnection



It is apparent by reading past Kid Konnection posts from other bloggers, that I am the old one. 
Hey, hey now.....I didn't mean I'm the old lady, but rather in what books I post about.   Someone needs to champion older GREAT, well-loved books, don't they? 
I appreciate the  Captain Underpants, Diary of a Wimpy Kid, Judy Moody, The Dork Diaries and Fancy Nancy books of today, but.....but..... what's the matter with  Thank you Jackie Robinson?


Thank you Jackie Robinson by Barbara Cohen
Sam and Davy come from different races, religions, and generations, but they have one thing very much in common – they both love the Brooklyn Dodgers and baseball. When Davy has a heart attack, Sam is determined to show Davy how much their friendship means to him by getting Davy a baseball signed by their mutual hero, Jackie Robinson.



Thank you Jackie Robinson was published in 1988, but it's a timeless story of  friendship, race, personal sacrifice and death.  Pretty big issues for any kid huh? 
But, Cohen handles the situations with grace and empathy and makes it a good read...alone or as a read aloud.  I love the read aloud, since it's a great time and situation to  (without lecturing) talk to your kids or grand kids about these heavy issues.  And Cohen make history fun!  And interesting.  And there is baseball involved...it's the time of year for baseball.  (another little hook there for boys if you have trouble finding something they like to read).

It's a short little post, but that's my  "old" pick for Kid Konnection this week.
Kid Konnection is hosted every Saturday by Booking Mama.


PS  my grandson is here today and we went to the library this afternoon.  We brought home:
Captain Underpants  ---3 books
Goosebumps
Bunnicula
Lawn Boy
Hatchet

Good stuff for a Saturday afternoon.

3 comments:

Julie P. said...

I must be an "old" one too because I remember this book. Thanks for sharing!

bermudaonion said...

I don't remember that book, but it sounds like a good one!

Amanda said...

Hi just checking in, haven't heard from you regarding The Secret Recipe Club and the post is due tomorrow. I hope you were able to make something and will be able to post in the morning!

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...