Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Jalapeno Popper Burgers



I live in the United States, but obviously I need to subscribe to Canadian Living Magazine, because my friend Brenda is finding some good recipes  in the June 2011 issue.

Since our kitchen is still 'in progress'  (the tile is in, but painting is in progress--then a new counter top and sink) I like something that can be cooked on the grill.  I can put it together , hand it off to the Handyman and  then sit back and relax while he finishes up.  I love summertime for exactly that reason.

These burgers are going inside my 'keeper' notebook...they tasted great.  Every bite of this burger was filled with  creamy, cheesy, spicy popper filling.  Seriously, every bite!
I hate it when you cook a cheese filled burger and it all melts and   disappears into the meat.  In this recipe you freeze the filling for about 15 minutes before placing it in between 2 thin patties, and it when cooked it melts just enough so that you get that cheesy goodness in every bite.



(I got the onions a bit done....but we like them that way. )

While the canned pickled jalapeno peppers worked well for us,  some people prefer to use a fresh jalapeno, which I'm sure would work just fine, and give that little bit of spicy crunch inside the filling.

The Handyman and I enjoyed these burgers very much.  A great summer backyard meal with a cold beer, or in my case Bullfrogs  (which is what we call  vodka and lemonade).    I plan to make them again soon!



Look at all that cheesy goodness!!  In every bite!


Jalapeno Popper Cheeseburgers



1 egg
1 small onion, grated and drained
1/4 cup dried bread crumbs (I used Panko)
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 lb. lean ground beef
Three-quarters sweet onion, cut in 4 thick rounds
2 tsp. olive oil
Pinch each salt and pepper
4 hamburger buns
Cheese Filling
1 cup shredded old Cheddar cheese
1/4 cup cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup chopped drained pickled jalapeno peppers (I will use fresh next time)
2 T chopped fresh parsley


In bowl, stir together Cheddar cheese, cream cheese, jalapeno peppers and parsley. Divide into quarters; flatten each to 2 1/2-inch circle. Freeze on tray for 15 minutes.


In bowl, whisk together egg, grated onion, bread crumbs, salt and pepper; mix in beef. Shape into 8 balls. Flatten each into 5-inch wide patty. Top 4 of the patties with cheese circle; top with remaining patties, gently pressing and pinching edges to seal. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.


Place patties on greased grill over medium heat; close lid and grill, turning once.

Meanwhile, brush sweet onion rounds with oil; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Grill over medium heat, turning once, until softened and caramelized, 8 to 10 minutes.
Sandwich burgers and onion in buns.


Makes 4 burgers.


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ooooohhh, I love those pics!! The gooey cheese! Glad you enjoyed!

Chelle B said...

Not only was I tortured with Brenda's photos the other day but now yours. I might need to jump on this bandwagon and make these now. Yummy!

Plain Chicken said...

OMG - that looks amazing! We LOVE burgers. This looks right up our alley

Plain Chicken said...

OMG - that looks amazing! We LOVE burgers. This looks right up our alley

masini second said...

Hmmm that is a very nice recipe that looks very good and tastes delicious for sure. I will try it tomorrow for breakfast. Thanks a lot for sharing.

Sheila (Bookjourney) said...

I just gained weight reading this post... I know I did. :)

Emma said...

I really really love a good burger and this one looks like it fits the bill!

Delicious photos :)

~~louise~~ said...

What a GREAT idea to freeze the stuffing, Debbie. I never thought of it!!!

Your hamburgers look so tempting, I want to munch on my screen "as we speak."

Thanks for sharing...

P.S. In case I don't make it back, Happy Independence Day!!!

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...