Monday, June 20, 2011

Lemon Blueberry Pound Cake



My grandchildren love blueberries, so I bought a big carton of blueberries last Friday and even tho they ate their way thru so many of them, I still had enough to whip up the blueberry sauce for yesterdays German Pancakes and today's  Lemon Blueberry Pound Cake.

I let no blueberry go to waste.  (now bread?  Bread I let go to waste...but that's another story...)

This pound cake recipe can also be found at Brenda's Canadian Kitchen.  I should just start a regularly featured-weekly post about all the recipes I get from her.  There are many, and I'm almost embarrassed...but....they are really good. They call my name and I have to make them. 

I love the flavor of lemon and the blueberries in this pound cake were just an added bonus.
Pound cakes  have always been on my favorites list.  Pound cakes are usually very dense and heavy,  and while I like that heavy denseness, not everyone does. Well, let me tell you,  this particular one was kept very moist by the addition of the Lemon syrup over the top.
I am without a microwave at the moment, so I made a lemon and sugar simple syrup and brushed that over the top of the warm cake and when we bit into the cake--WOW--what a burst of fresh lemon flavor.




Blueberry Lemon Pound Cake


1 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup sugar
4 eggs
3 T milk
2 T finely grated lemon zest
1 tsp. vanilla
2 cups flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen wild blueberries


Lemon Syrup
1/4 cup sugar
3 T lemon juice


In large bowl, beat butter with sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, 1 at a time, until light and creamy. Beat in milk, lemon zest and vanilla.


In separate bowl, whisk together all but 1 tablespoon of the flour, baking powder, and salt; stir into butter mixture until smooth and blended.


Toss blueberries with remaining tablespoon of flour; fold half into batter. Scrape half of the batter into 9 x 5-inch parchment paper-lined loaf pan. Sprinkle with remaining blueberries. Scrape remaining batter over berries, smoothing top. Bake in 350F oven until cake tester inserted in centre comes out clean, about 1 1/2 hours.


Lemon Syrup: In microwaveable bowl, microwave sugar with lemon juice at high, stirring once, until hot and sugar is dissolved, 30 seconds.


With skewer, poke holes all over top of cake; brush or pour syrup evenly over top. Let cool in pan on rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pan; let cool completely.


Makes 12 servings.



*******************************
I ran  home at lunch today and made myself some oatmeal.
(ran:  not as in literally ran, but went home very fast in my car)
YES, oatmeal.  I like oatmeal, and I was itching to try  the blueberry sauce on the oatmeal.  (I had pound cake for breakfast, remember.....I eat a balanced meal)



verdict?
Home made blueberry sauce on oatmeal is great!!



**********************************************************

Java from Never Growing Old hosts the "Meet Me on Monday" meme.  I thought I'd play along today.

Her questions this week are:
1. What feature of the opposite sex do you notice first?
I guess I notice eyes....and if they have laugh lines.  I like somebody who laughs.  The Handyman laughs at me all the time---in a good way.  (He laughs with me)

2. Do you talk to yourself?
Of course I talk to myself....doesn't everybody?



3. What is your current relationship status?
On Friday, the Handyman and I celebrated our 33rd wedding anniversary!


4. Do you have a garden?
A flower garden only this year with some herbs and a few tomato plants interspersed thru-out.


5. What is your favorite licorice flavor?
I like the licorice flavor..... black, but that is not my favorite licorice-type of candy ----since we all call Twizzlers, Red Vines, etc etc, licorice, I'd have to say that Red Vines  are my favorite.
I like to eat them at the movie theater. With popcorn.
WAIT!  I do love Good and Plenty too...and that is  'real' licorice flavor.


9 comments:

bermudaonion said...

I think I gained weight just looking at the pound cake! Congratulations to you and the Handyman!

Mary (Bookfan) said...

I'm going to have to try the recipe. I love lemon pound cake and blueberries added is a bonus! I tried Ina Garten's lemon pound cake a couple of years ago and I think it called for the lemon syrup or something similar - delicious!
Congrats on your anniversary. My hubs and I will celebrate 32 years in October. And I'm a twizzlers at the movies girl :-)

Anonymous said...

Debbie, I hope you tried it warm from the oven with butter like we did..... :o)

Katrina said...

I'm a huge fan of blueberries, too. But yet I've never tried them on my oatmeal - I will have to try that! Lemon and blueberry mixed into a pound cake... now, that's what I'm talking about! I'm going to try this recipe soon. Thanks for sharing :)

I'm your newest follower via GFC and NetworkedBlogs :)
Hope your week's a good one!
Katrina
They All Call Me Mom

Chelle B said...

I FOLLOW Brenda's blog for the same exact reason. She's a rockstar in the kitchen and one of the first blogs I found. I have a pint of blueberries that would be perfect to use up in this recipe. Yummy!

Susan said...

Lemons and blueberries! A match made in heaven ... just found your fun blog through good old Brenda and her Canadian Kitchen! Loved browsing all your recipes ... and your companion blog with all those cookbooks! Amazon.com, here I come! Wink, wink!

Karen said...

This looks delicious. I bet this stayed moist for days with that syrup on top. The oatmeal looks good, too!

Sheila (Bookjourney) said...

I am such a fan of blueberries!!!! YUM!

Lori @ Girl Meets Oven said...

Your lemon blueberry pound cake is amazing! I made it this weekend and can't stop eating it. Thanks for sharing!

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...