Monday, February 16, 2015

It's Monday (what are you reading?)




Why didn't anyone tell me about David Sedaris?
I love him!
(where have I been living?? Under a rock? In a hole?  I can't believe I've never read anything by him before)
**sad fact**
Holidays on Ice sits on my coffee table every December (for the past few years anyway). It was a gift, but I haven't had time to read it during the holidays.  Maybe I'll read it now.

Well actually, Kathy at Bermudaonion did tell me about him.  Last year.
But --- why didn't she INSIST that I read his books?

I just finished "Dress your Family in Corduroy and Denim."



Goodreads says:
David Sedaris returns to his deliriously twisted domain: hilarious childhood dramas infused with melancholy; the gulf of misunderstanding that exists between people of different nations or members of the same family; and the poignant divide between one's best hopes and most common deeds. The family characters his readers love are all here, as well as the unique terrain they inhabit, strewn with comic landmines. 'The Rooster' is back, and getting married in the funniest wedding ever described. David attends a slumber party and gets the upper hand in a unique version of strip poker. 'Rubber or plastic?' The strangest questions can tear people apart. A skinny guy from Spain, wearing a bishop's hat and accompanied by six to eight men, invades your house and pretends to kick you. Is this any way to spend Christmas? With this new book, Sedaris's prose reaches breathtaking new heights and marks off a territory that is unmistakably his own. Read it and weep tears of humane laughter.

I say:
It's my first Sedaris book, but it won't be my last.
I've always loved humorist, self-deprecating, memoir type of epistle type of books.
And that is how I think of this one.
I listened on audio and the author was also the narrator -- I could never listen to one of his books again unless he did the narrating.
I loved him.
Probably not for everyone, there are some adult themes running throughout, but he is such a good story teller that I'm feeling I can't miss out on any of this other books.

Would I recommend it?  
Yes, I would. I love his style and sense of humor.

PS  to Kathy at Bermudaonion -- I should have taken your advice sooner.
When I asked you for some good ideas for audio books, you answered:
anything by David Sedaris.


************************

What else did I read last week?
Six Years by Harlan Coben
Shotgun Lovesongs by Nikolas Butler







So now... moving on to this week
I need to finish
A Supremely Bad Idea



and hope to start:
All the Light We Cannot See


********************

That is how my week is shaping up.
Plus doing a couple cookbook countdown update posts
And maybe getting back into the walking swing of things.

And not looking like this every morning at 6am:
Balancing books and coffee on my lap!


I'm linking this post to Book Journey's  "It's Monday, What are you reading" meme.

The meme that we use to share what we read this past week and what our plans are for the upcoming week.  It’s a great way to see what others are reading and add to your own To Be Read list. :D  You never know where that next great read may come from!



No comments:

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...