Monday, February 16, 2015

Friday Friend Recipe #41; Chili Cheese Rice Bake

Making my way thru my Friday Friend Cookbook, one recipe at a time.

What is the Friday Friend cookbook:   I have about 50 of my closest friends and family on an e-mail forum which I called the Friday Friends (from all over the county).  At first, most of them didn't know each other, (they knew me) but over the past 15 years, we've answered and shared silly--and serious---questions,  exchanged Secret Santa Christmas gifts,  had a dieting contest in which we paid a $1 a week and that money went to a scholarship fund for a Friday Friends son's memorial scholarship, and we went on a great vacation for my 52 birthday.

AND,  we contributed recipes for a cookbook.
Which brings me to this... recipe #41

Barb's
Chili Cheese Rice Bake




I said this in the last Friday Friend update:
I am renaming this cookbook the High Cholesterol Cookbook.
Everything is cheesy.

So... we just don't have these dishes all the time, right?
Only on special occasions.
Such as Sundays and dinners with friends, and when you're feeling blue and on Tuesdays, sometimes for lunch.
Just not all the time!

Please don't let my photos turn you off...
(I could make excuses about taking the pictures the morning after, and not microwaving the rice long enough to get the good, melty, cheese, but I will not do that. Nope, I won't.  Just saying --- usually this has good melty cheese on top.  I'm not one to try to justify myself.  No sir, not me.)

... this is a REALLY good rice dish.
It's creamy and cheesy with a touch of green chili flavor. Mmmmmm.
It's normally made with green chilies, but one time I made it with jalapenos. Good, but hot, Hot, HOT!
(of course I might have put in one too many jalapenos, but again, I can't tolerate excuses --you'll just have to trust me)

I made this with some enchiladas the other night and as always, it was a hit with everyone!



Chili Cheese Rice Bake
Barbara Brown from Buckeye

3 cups cooked rice
1 4oz can diced green chilies
1 cup sour cream
1/2 t salt
2 cups grated jack cheese
1/2 cup (or a bit more) grated cheddar cheese

In bowl, mix sour cream, chilies and salt.
In a buttered (or Pam'd) 1 1/2 quart casserole, spread half the rice. Over this sprinkle half the jack cheese and top with 1/2 of the sour cream mixture.
Repeat this layer and then bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes.
Sprinkle cheddar over to and bake another 15 minutes.





Here again is Barb!  
And the Handyman ( he sneaks in all my pictures it seems)
Our backyard  a few summers ago, playing board games and drinking gin and tonics.
(I only see half-drunk gin and tonics -- no games in sight)

2 Barb facts:
She doesn't like to eat alone in a restaurant 
She collects frogs  (not live ones)

To see all of Barb's recipes (not to mention fun facts and stories) click this link



I WILL  make my goal of cooking all of my friends (Friday Friends) recipes!!
 I WILL!!
Eventually.




No comments:

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...