Thursday, May 28, 2015

Armchair BEA Day 2 Social Media



Good morning.
Happy Thursday.
Happy Day #2 of Armchair BEA.

One of today's topics is: Social Media.

I suck at it.

Let me just blame it on being a tad bit over 50.
(except that's no excuse, because I know many bloggers over 50 who are very proficient in other forms of social media)

So....being over 50 (just a tad!) is not an excuse?
Too lazy to learn?
Too dumb to learn?
Too impatient to learn?

Let my just say  that I'm speaking specifically  of Twitter right now.
I do have a Twitter account
@afridayfriend
but I really don't get it, so once in a while I'll tweet out a random thought and then get really self-conscious about those random thoughts (although for Steve Martin they work very well...go figure?).
I do think Twitter does automatic Tweets for me on my Goodreads account and some of my blog posts.
I want to join in on Twitter conversations sometimes, but I don't know if I'm supposed to??!!  
Seriously, do i just POP IN?  
And Twitter parties?  Most times the timing is off for me on the West Coast.
I could probably make it work, but therein lies the 'too lazy' excuse.

Too lazy, but also too impatient. 
Yesterday, I tired to participate in the Instagram challenge, but I accidentally put the wrong hashtag on my photo.
I did this at Easter too.... took a photo of my grandchildren and #wastertime, instead of #eastertime.
You know I was not the ONLY ONE who did this.  There are tons of  Easter Instgram photos hash tagged with #waster.
But my (supposed to be) grown up sons would not let me live that down and started hashtagging everything #waster.

Instagram  = afridayfriend


NOW,
I do realize that most of you today are writing about how to utilize and expand your blogging experience thru Social Media. 
While I am just writing about what a social media dork I am.

Altho,
the Friday Friends does have a Facebook page
And I am on Goodreads (as Debbie Stone)
and those two I can handle without any faux-paux  for the most part.

Back to the social media dork...
it's okay.
Because, for me, this is just a hobby.
I don't review books,  I just 
LOVE TO TALK ABOUT BOOKS
and find out, thru  your blogs, what's good, what's trending and what I should read next!

I love your blogs!
I love your tweets  (even if I'm just a voyeur) 
I love your instagrams
and
Goodreads  suggestions/ratings.

And there are a few of you out there, whom I just really love... gotten to know thru emails etc.

Now....somebody explain Tumblr to me....

***********
The other topic today is
Visual Expressions
There are so many ways to tell stories. Whether it's comic books, graphic novels, visual novels, webcomics, etc, there are quite a lot of other mediums to tell a story. On this day, we will be talking about those books and formats that move beyond just words and use other ways to experience a story.

One silly fact about this 'tad-bit' over 50 blogger...
I love X-Men Comics.
(visual?)
I don't buy them --mostly because comic books are $5.00 and I can read them in 15 minutes.
But I raised 3 boys and they liked them, so...  I just kind of grew to love them.
But, as a rule, I don't read in graphic form.

4 comments:

Ms. Yingling said...

I blame my dislike of social media not on my age (which is close to yours) but in my lack of portable computing device! I log in once a day to blog, log things on good reads, post reviews and check e mail. More time than that in the computer... ugh. i love your goal of using ALL of your cookbooks. Since I collected vintage ones years ago and my daughters are vegetarians, it could get ugly if I tried that! Enjoy Armchair BEA!

Lisa @ Just Another Rabid Reader said...

I rather suck at social media, if it makes you feel any better, and I am only mid 30s, so much closer to the target demographic for that sort of thing!

Anonymous said...

I think that age can play a big part in how we view social media. I have learned to use it and now I actually enjoy it. For me it was a matter of discovering what works for what I am looking to get out of it and focusing on only that. I don't use many of the platforms, just the ones that I enjoy. To many would make my head spin.

Anonymous said...

nice to meet a blogger that's closer to me in age

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...