Friday, May 29, 2015

When Gods Die

From Goodreads:
 Brighton, England, 1811. The beautiful wife of an aging Marquis is found dead in the arms of the Prince Regent. Draped around her neck lies an ancient necklace with mythic origins-and mysterious ties to Sebastian St. Cyr, Viscount Devlin. Haunted by his past, Sebastian investigates both the Marchioness's death and his own possible connection to it-and discovers a complex pattern of lies and subterfuge. With the aid of his lover, Kat Boleyn, and a former street urchin now under his protection, Sebastian edges closer to the killer. And when one murder follows another, he confronts a conspiracy that threatens his own identity...and imperils the monarchy itself.
 
 
From Me:
Why did this book call to me?
I used to read "Historical Romance" novels all the time, and I loved them.
Then, I stopped. 
I always felt that I grew out of them, but that's not a kind description, because whether you like them or not, Historical novels take a great deal of research to be true to their time  period and most are very well written and developed.
They can be fun, fast, suspenseful and emotional.
(after reading these first books I've found I've missed them!)
 
But, nevertheless, I stopped reading them, about 25 years ago.
Until...   The Quirky Bookworm wrote a post titled: 
Addicting Books:  8 Titles you won't be able to put down, 
and she said:
 I always devour the new entries in C.S. Harris's Sebastian St. Cyr series too (there are ten in the series so far, so you have a lot of great books to look forward to if you haven't read any!). It's not so much about the mysteries as it is about the relationships between the main characters.
 
and then...the rest is history!
It's about the relationships between the main characters.
She had me at that!!
 
This is the 2nd book I've read in the series and I really enjoyed it.
I do love to see character development, and Harris does a great job.
Not to mention their is a murder mystery plot to go along.
I know I'll enjoy this series.
3 stars from me.
 
*You probably already know this, but I just found out that 'Regency'
Historical novels (and that is what this is) are from 1811 to 1820, in the United Kingdom when King George III was deemed unfit to rule and his son, the Prince of Wales ruled as his proxy as Prince Regent.  In 1820  the Prince Regent became George IV   on the death of his father.

No comments:

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...