Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Sloppy Joes, Cookbook Countdown #80 and Cookbook Wednesday!







It's Cookbook Wednesday!
And this is  #80 for me!
As  I said the last time I posted a cookbook for the countdown,  
this isn't even making a dent in my collection.
And it's #80!
This will keep me busy until I die. (posting from each cookbook)
I'm so glad I have a purpose in life!  A goal!  I can never give up!

Then swing on over to Marjie  host of Modern Day Ozzie and Harriet to see other Cookbook enthusiasts. 
She's hosting for now, while Louise is on a break. (Hey Louise!)

For this week's countdown, I used this cookbook:

 From Goodreads:
 Fun, fellowship, and great food-these are the ingredients that make for a successful social gathering when supplied by people like you and the Taste of Home Test-Kitchen experts. Packed with 506 delicious, home-style recipes for bite-sized snacks, refreshing beverages, tasty appetizers, spectacular side dishes, hearty entrees, and delightful desserts-each recipe serving eight or more. You are sure to find a dish to suit any occasion-church breakfasts and suppers, potlucks, reunions, family gatherings, or any other event that draws a hungry crowd. Each recipe uses everyday ingredients and is designed to travel well.

And I really took my dish to a church supper!!
We had a potluck after church on  Sunday,
 I made Sloppy Joes!
 I didn't get any good 'food' photos.  
Just some photos at the church supper.

I made them at home in a frying pan,
then transferred to a slow-cooker



I usually just open a can of Manwich Sauce, but today I did Sloppy from Scratch.

and it was really good!



Before I knew it,  the slow-cooker was empty!

(and we thought we'd have leftovers for supper that night)






This little guy loved them so much that his mom asked me for the recipe.





Notice the Handyman?
His plate is empty.
(truth?  He hates potlucks, so he only ate my sloppy joes. Me?  I love a potluck.  He misses out on all the good stuff!) 

 

Church Supper Sloppy Joes

7 lbs lean ground beef
1 1/2 cups chopped onion
1 1/2 cups chopped celery
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
2 T mustard
6 cups tomato sauce
1/2 cup white vinegar
2-3 tsp minced garlic
salt and pepper to taste
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
hamburger buns

In a large skillet, brown beef, onion and celery. 
Cook in batches if necessary. Drain any fat.
Add all remaining ingredients except the cheese, cook for 10 minutes.
Stir in cheese, cook until melted.
Serve on buns.

Yield:  50 servings.

I will be making these again!
But probably cutting down the serving size.

It's a great cookbook.
Given to me by my friend Mitzi, who  really IS THE BEST COOK  I know!


Church Potluck!

 











3 comments:

Marjie said...

I love Sloppy Joes, but I add diced canned tomatoes to mine. Looks like your Church Potluck was fun. I've linked you up.

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

I think the happy faces say it all about you.

Karen said...

I made sloppy joe's the other night for the girls, only I did it the easy way... browned hamburger, jar of spaghetti sauce and a little ketchup

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...